Re: legal status of ©?

Kee Hinckley (nazgul@utopia.com)
Tue, 16 May 1995 11:34:45 -0400

Date: Tue, 16 May 1995 11:34:45 -0400
To: alibaba!admin1@uunet.uu.net,
From: nazgul@utopia.com (Kee Hinckley)
Subject: Re: legal status of &copy;?

At 9:32 PM 5/14/95, Systems Administration account wrote:

>The way in which copyright protection is secured under the present
>law is frequently misunderstood.  No publication or registration
>or other action in the Copyright Office is required to secure
>copyright (see following NOTE). There are, however, certain
>definite advantages to registration.

One of those advantages is in terms of recovering damages.  A registered
copyright can collect statutory as well as actual damanages. (Not sure how
this applies out of the U.S.).  For more info I highly recommend "The
Copyright Handbook" from Nolo Press. Last time I checked Nolo had a web
site on GNN.

Kee Hinckley      Utopia Inc. - Cyberspace Architects=81    617/721-6100
nazgul@utopia.com                               http://www.utopia.com/

everyone else's.