Re: Browsers and syntax errors (Was: Captions for Figures...

Tim Pierce (twpierce@midway.uchicago.edu)
Fri, 10 Mar 95 17:43:02 CST

Date: Fri, 10 Mar 95 17:43:02 CST
From: Tim Pierce <twpierce@midway.uchicago.edu>
To: www-html@www10.w3.org
Subject: Re: Browsers and syntax errors (Was: Captions for Figures...

Jim Hurley said:

> Steinar Bang <steinarb@falch.no>:
>
> >Making browsers forgiving about HTML syntax errors, instead of giving
> >good user feedback, is probably the gravest error committed by the
> >browser writers.
>
> I think I disagree. It follows from the network pricipal of being
> liberally in what ones accepts and cautious in what one sends.

Thus, the server should not be as laissez-faire as modern
servers are about serving broken HTML.

> If casual users where made aware of every problem in the document and
> every glitch in the network that occurred while viewing, the Web might
> not be the success story it is. Not many people really care that
> much about these things.

You're right that few people care about this.  That's part
of why I question your assertion that the Web is a success
story.  Maybe it is in terms of making the Internet look
like a fun 'n' fancy tool for the unwashed masses, but I
hesitate to call that "success."

> Individual homepages are not necessarily the best examples to pick on
> when it comes to sloppy or abusive markup, professional people
> are sometimes even more abusive when they try to make HTML a
> publishing tool and spend all their time achieving the right look and
> forgetting that they should be providing information.

Enthusiastically agreed.