Re: Multi column layout question.

Paul Prescod (papresco@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca)
Mon, 26 Jun 1995 18:42:35 -0400 (EDT)

From: Paul Prescod <papresco@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca>
Subject: Re: Multi column layout question.
To: kitblake@gig.nl (kitblake)
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 1995 18:42:35 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: www-html@www10.w3.org

> I am not testing or writing Arena/HTML3, but a column element seems simple
> to implement, and would provide many options in formatting a page.

There is your mistake.  HTML is explicitly not about formatting pages.  It
is about describing the structure of a document to a computer.  Other
formats (perhaps used in conjunction with HTML) must describe its
formatting.  This is the point behind style sheets.  They are external
documents that describe the desired format of a document.

> that I don't see available in:
> http://www.w3.org/hypertext/WWW/MarkUp/html3/Contents.html

Hopefully you will never see formatting options in HTML.  HTML 3.0 provides
a mechanism for specifying external style sheets.  That is where you
should put your columns.  Not in HTML.

 Paul Prescod