Re: Previous Page

Terra Goodnight (terra@clark.net)
Fri, 23 Jun 1995 11:06:57 -0400 (EDT)

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 1995 11:06:57 -0400 (EDT)
From: Terra Goodnight <terra@clark.net>
To: www-html@www10.w3.org
Subject: Re: Previous Page

On Thu, 22 Jun 1995, Brother Baker wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Jun 1995, Kee Hinckley wrote:
>
> > Or if you are using a script-driven link, you can see if the browser
> > set the HTTP_REFERER field and send them back to that.
>
> Huh?  I mean, I'm sure I sound like an idiot to some people... but what
> HTTP_REFERER field?  TIA.  :)

In your CGI, you can capture $ENV{HTTP_REFERER} and use it in an href
back to the "previous" page (essentially the page from which they arrived.)
i.e.:
	print "<A HREF=\"$ENV{HTTP_REFERER}\">Back to Previous Page</A>";

(correct me if i got anything wrong there, it's been a long night writing
message boards in html)...

What I need to know from anyone who can help is which browsers do and
don't send this information.  I know AOL and Netscape's do.  It'd
certainly help in a lot of the scripts that we're writing to have it.

Any list somewhere of which browsers support what?

-Terra

       -*- terra@clark.net -*- http://www.clark.net/pub/terra/ -*-
           -*- Visit Terra's Web Stuff at LosAngeles.com -*-
                -*- http://losangeles.com/netsurfing/ -*-