Re: Multi column layout question.

kitblake (
Fri, 23 Jun 1995 16:05:34 +0100

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 1995 16:05:34 +0100
From: (kitblake)
Subject: Re: Multi column layout question.

>Then again, if *precise* formatting is vital to a specific presentaion of
>information, there *are* better tools than html ... and Adobe Acrobat, for
>one, also allows article threading, among other features.

The Problem is Acrobat generates very large files, especially with pictures.

We really need the otion to place HTML text somewhere on a page, not either
left or center. Or right.

This discussion began with the observation that many companies, with fast
links and nice monitors, are making very wide pages. Check out It's at least 700 pixels.
This generates long lines of text, which are hard to read.

Having some control mechanism to organize text in columns makes for better
communication. A caption can be under a picture. Or next to it. Two or
three important items can share the header space. Things to be skimmed, as
in a newspaper, can be in narrow columns. Or linked footnotes can be on a
wide margin.

Ultimately, it is just a desire to improve the experience fo exploring
information on the Web.
Kit Blake