(no subject)

Sat, 3 Jun 1995 08:25:29 -0400

Date: Sat, 3 Jun 1995 08:25:29 -0400
From: winhink@gate.net
Subject: Re:
To: www-html@www10.w3.org

[kitblake@gig.nl (kitblake)]
>There is one thing I'd like to throw out here, which has to do with a short
>term and a long view.
>It would be a good idea if we could organize text into columns.

I don't think this should go into HTML. I you want to view text in multiple
columns than instruct your browser to format it thus.

>Short term:
>This is partly because a lot of sites are making wide pages, which means
>that the text lines are very long, thus hard to read. This may fall into
>the style sheet arena, but....

Yes most browsers are broken, they should have a max line length for breaking
paragraphs. But this is a browser issue, not a HTML issue.

>Long term:
>I look forward to the day when we can drop the page metaphor, and have the
>browser take over the whole screen, as do some interactive programs. Then
>entering a site would really be entering a world.

I look forward to the day when there is a lot of really useful information out
there. But multiple coulumns seems to me to be clinging to the paper metaphor.

Lennart Staflin   [ Work: lenst@idasys.se   Private: lenst@lysator.liu.se ]

The fact that computer are set up in page metaphores is interesting. I doubt if
it will change. Any large section of text is much more readable in columns.  We
HTML users need to recognize that irrufftable fact. (Please pardon my
Win Hinkle published LETTER FROM EVANS,
a non-profit, paper-based jazz newsletter dedicated
to the late jazz pianist Bill Evans.  For a free sample
issue, e-mail ground (snail) postal address to
winhink@magicnet.net. See Win's new site at