Re: Registered

lilley (lilley@afs.mcc.ac.uk)
Fri, 2 Jun 1995 10:47:06 +0100 (BST)

From: lilley <lilley@afs.mcc.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Registered
To: habib@world.std.com
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 1995 10:47:06 +0100 (BST)
Cc: www-html@www10.w3.org

Steve H Rose wrote:

> The codes that I use are the ASCII codes.

Actually, they are the ISO Latin-1 codes. ASCII is a 7 bit character set
and has no characters with code positions greater than 127

> I find they work consistently,
> while some of the other special codes like &copy; do not seem to in all
> browsers.

Yes, you are correct here. Browsers are gradually adding support for
named entities.

>  The ASCII code for R in a circle is   &#174;   the ASCII code
> for TM is    &#153;   the ASCII code for C in a circle (copyright) is
> &#169;     -- any other ASCII code can be entered in a similar manner.

Substituting ISO Latin-1 for ASCII throughout, I agree with you.

--
Chris Lilley, Technical Author
|       Manchester and North HPC Training & Education Centre        |