Collapsed Lists

Benjamin C. W. Sittler (
Wed, 19 Jul 1995 13:46:21 -0600

From: (Benjamin C. W. Sittler)
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 1995 13:46:21 -0600
Subject: Collapsed Lists

For browsers supporting collapsed lists, I suggest we use the ID attribute
to indicate those which are or are not collapsed initially, although it
really might be better to add a STYLE attribute to every HTML element...

<LI CLASS=DirList STYLE=Collapsed>

and in the stylesheet:

LI.DirList : Font.Family = Courier
LI[style = COLLAPSED] : List.Style = Accordian & Collapsed
LI[style = OPEN] : List.Style = Accordian & Expanded

Yes, this would be providing *extremely* abusable presentation-oriented
markup, but the underlying concept is one of presentation. Browsers
incapable of or averse to (i.e. through user preferences) collapsing lists
could safely ignore the stylesheet and/or the STYLE attribute.

my 2c

Benjamin C. W. Sittler
   "I have great confidence in fools -- self confidence my friends call it."
                            --Edgar Allen Poe