Re: Proposal For Outline Markup Scheme For HTML 3.0

Benjamin C. W. Sittler (bsittler@prism.nmt.edu)
Wed, 19 Jul 1995 14:01:47 -0600

From: bsittler@prism.nmt.edu (Benjamin C. W. Sittler)
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 1995 14:01:47 -0600
To: "Chris Tilbury" <C.J.Tilbury@estate.warwick.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Proposal For Outline Markup Scheme For HTML 3.0
Cc: www-html@www10.w3.org

Alright, I still have a few questions...

1. Why have the OUTLINE attribute at all? Just use stylesheets, giving
   collapsing/noncollapsing behaviour on the basis of ID or (better yet) a
   presentation-specific STYLE attribute.

2. I don't see how CAPTION can really replace LH. LH implies that the
   remainder of the element it belongs to may be (at least temporarily)
   collapsed, while it is not. This is surely not the case with FIGures
   or TABLEs (is it?) I think we should use LH (or perhaps just H) for
   a "minor header" appropriate for both lists and list items.

3. Why shouldn't *all* lists containing LH be collapsable, for that
   matter?

--
Benjamin C. W. Sittler
   "I have great confidence in fools -- self confidence my friends call it."