Re: Browsers which support HTML 3.0 Tables

Tom Magliery (mag@ncsa.uiuc.edu)
Thu, 20 Apr 1995 09:00:19 -0600

Date: Thu, 20 Apr 1995 09:00:19 -0600
To: www-html@w3.org
From: mag@ncsa.uiuc.edu (Tom Magliery)
Subject: Re: Browsers which support HTML 3.0 Tables

>OK folks,
>         I'm trying to write a PERL script that returns different HTML
>depending on whether HTML 3.0 tables are supported or not, but I'm not
>sure which browsers support this! So far the only browsers I know of that
>support HTML 3.0 tables are:
>
>Browser                   HTTP User Agent value
>~~~~~~~                   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>Arena                     Arena/version.number
>Netscape-1.1b3            Mozilla/1.1b3
>
>Are there any other browsers out there that support them?

Uh, yeah, there's a nifty new browser out called "NCSA Mosaic" which
supports tables....

             Tables since
Platform     version #...     Notes
Windows      2.0.0a8          Currently our best implementation,
                              had them before Netscape, (interesting
                              to compare the two), etc.
Mac          2.0.0b1          A VERY close second to Windows.
                              Actually had tables in 2.0.0 alphas,
                              but I can never keep them all straight,
                              and believe me, we had a lot more
                              internal alpha releases than you all
                              ever saw...
X            2.4              But they didn't support arbitrary
                              markup in the table cells, and
                              unfortunately, they still don't.

mag

--
Tom Magliery ** NCSA ** 605 E Springfield ** Champaign IL 61820 ** USA