HTML style sheets

H&kon W Lie (
Thu, 3 Nov 1994 12:10:14 --100

Date: Thu, 3 Nov 1994 12:10:14 --100
Subject: HTML style sheets
From: "H&kon W Lie" <>

Judging from the recent disussions in www-talk and at WWW'94 i
Chicago, I think the consenus on style sheets is growing. Several of
the people interested in these topics are not on the high-traffic
www-talk mailing list. I propose moving the discussion to www-html,
which is a smaller list with less activity. (To subscribe to www-talk,
send a message to with "subscribe
www-html <your real name>" in the body.)

Also, I have created a style sheet page with references to relevant
information. The page is far from complete and contributions are
welcome. See:

A brief summary of where we stand

Consensus items:

 o Style sheets should provide a mapping between HTML elements and
   presentation parameters
 o Style sheets provide _hints_ that the browser may or may not take
   into account when rendering documents
 o Both the author and the user should be able to influence the final
 o Style sheets should primarily be referenced from the HTML
   documents, not embedded.

Items for discussion:

 o Should style sheets be HTML-specific or SGML-generic?
 o Can style sheets be blended?
 o Should style sheets include logic?
 o To what extent should the final presentation be predictable?
 o What presentation parameters do we want to control?

Am I wrong? What's missing?

Hakon W Lie, WWW project, CERN, CH-1211 Geneva 23