Re: HTML style sheets

Jack Armstrong (Jack.Armstrong@ssf-sys.dhl.com)
Thu, 3 Nov 94 12:01:52 -0800

Date: Thu, 3 Nov 94 12:01:52 -0800
From: Jack Armstrong <Jack.Armstrong@ssf-sys.dhl.com>
To: dmh@hpfcma.fc.hp.com, Multiple recipients of list <www-html@www0.cern.ch>
Subject: Re: HTML style sheets

On Nov 3,  7:40pm, Dave Hollander wrote:

	...{among other interesting comments I agree with}...

> For example, our large authoring DTDs have over eight separate things
> that end up as italic. It would do no one any good to simply say
> 	"make all italics 14pt bold".
> Whereas, it would help them to say
> 	"make program variables bold".

>-- End of {edited} excerpt from Dave Hollander

Dave's example illustrates the crux of all this blustering and frustration --
Moving a structurally tagged document into one or more presentation tagged
forms may be tedious, *but*, _it can be automated_.  The reverse operation
*requires* human intervention of the most soul-destroying variety -- i.e.,
sitting there, telling the machine what you meant every time it has
insufficient information to figure out if *this* italicized string was
italicized because it was a this or a that.  (Note that the victim of this
task is generally the author -- the only one who possesses this information).

I appreciate and share the frustration with the current inadequate presentation
tools for HTML, but expediency is the mother of all kludges -- Bosak's HDL
proposal makes sense -- please consider it carefully and help fine tune it
into being.

--
Jack C. Armstrong                        __________     ___   ___   ___