Re: FYI: User-defined logical emphasis styles

Steven Grimm (koreth@hyperion.com)
1 Nov 1994 18:23:18 -0800

To: www-html@www0.cern.ch
From: koreth@hyperion.com (Steven Grimm)
Subject: Re: FYI: User-defined logical emphasis styles
Date: 1 Nov 1994 18:23:18 -0800

If I'm not mistaken, the <render> tag specification explicitly says that
only physical styles are legal rendering types.  I think it'd make more
sense to be able to specify logical tags as well -- for instance, I might
want to define a <loud> tag that is a form of emphasis, and should thus
be rendered the same way as <em> -- but I shouldn't need to worry about
whether the rendering is italic, boldface, underlined, or whatever (though
I should be able to specify one of those if I prefer.)

Maybe the spec really does allow this and I'm just misreading it.

-Steve