XHTML 1.0 Strict and IFrames

From: Mike Shelton <mike@digitalhill.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2007 16:53:05 -0400
To: www-html-editor@w3.org

Hello,

I work for a web development company in Northern Indiana, USA. I have
worked very hard to fight for standard compliance and ensuring
compatibility across many platforms in my field, and I have defended it
to many of my colleagues. A question that has been stirring in mind for
a while now is: Why was the inner frame removed from the specification?
I understand that with creative CSS techniques or with a different
doctype I could get away with it, but I am a bit of a purist. A standard
is a standard to me, but nobody can tell me /why/ it was deprecated. I
have to wait until XHTML2 before any alternatives pop up.

In many of my applications, I find it desirable to use them in complex
forms. For instance, I might use one for file uploads. I might require a
user to upload a series of files before creating a record. This allows
users to upload multiple files without waiting for a single form to be
uploaded just to return in failure. This effect /cannot /be reproduced
without a second document, and using a frameset doesn't make sense for
an embedded frame. I need a good reason to not use them or at least a
suggestion on stated problem.

--

Thanks,

Mike Shelton