W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-html-editor@w3.org > October to December 2006

Re: [XHTMLMod] global attributes (PR#9640)

From: Steven Pemberton <steven.pemberton@cwi.nl>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 16:36:07 +0200
To: "Anne van Kesteren" <annevk@opera.com>, w3c-html-wg@w3.org
Cc: voyager-issues@mn.aptest.com, "www-html-editor@w3.org" <www-html-editor@w3.org>
Message-ID: <op.thoauhr2smjzpq@acer3010.lan>

On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 01:12:19 +0200, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>  
wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 18:03:21 +0200, Steven Pemberton  
> <steven.pemberton@cwi.nl> wrote:
>> So when you are building a language with Modularization, you have to  
>> explicitely state that you are supporting bi-directional text. All W3C  
>> family-members of XHTML do this.
>
> Given that the feature is also available in some form in Unicode this  
> doesn't make much sense to me. I also don't really understand why such a  
> feature should be optional.

It's up to the language designer. It's not required or disallowed by the  
modules.

>> We feel that just because the DOM includes an attribute on an element,  
>> that doesn't automatically imply it should be exposed in the markup.  
>> There are many things in the DOM that are not.
>
> When you serialize the DOM back to markup this creates problems.

So why would you want to have <br dir="rtl"/>? Just because it's in the  
DOM doesn't mean it makes sense. By the way, this is not a new invention.  
dir has never been on these elements!

>> But in any case, as I said in my earlier email, it is not the aim of  
>> this revision of Modularization to change the markup languages using  
>> it, even if we felt it was a good idea to add dir to the above elements.
>
> target="" is one thing which has been added, I don't really see why this  
> can't be considered.

I suspect you are confused about what Modularization is. Nothing has  
changed with respect to target in Modularization. It is being added to  
some markup languages that use Modularization, but that is up to those  
languages, not to Modularization.

Modularization is like a programming language library. It is a collection  
of modules you might like to use in a markup language. To define a  
language you say:

	My language consists of modules A+B+C

and you're done.

If the designer now wants to add target to the langauge, it becomes:

	My language consists of modules A+B+C+target

However, if we changed the modules, then *existing* languages would change  
without the designers having any say in the matter. That is why we said in  
the last call announcement:

"Since the main purpose of this version is to add support for XML Schemas,
comments on the particular structure of modules are out of scope, since it
is a requirement that existing drivers continue to work."
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/chairs/2006JulSep/0003.html

This is why your current comments cannot be adopted for this version of  
Mosularization.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Steven
Received on Thursday, 19 October 2006 14:36:24 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Tuesday, 27 March 2012 18:17:55 GMT