Re: [XHTMLMod] global attributes (PR#9640)

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 01:12:19 +0200
To: "Steven Pemberton" <steven.pemberton@cwi.nl>, w3c-html-wg@w3.org
Cc: voyager-issues@mn.aptest.com, "www-html-editor@w3.org" <www-html-editor@w3.org>

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 18:03:21 +0200, Steven Pemberton
<steven.pemberton@cwi.nl> wrote:
> So when you are building a language with Modularization, you have to
> explicitely state that you are supporting bi-directional text. All W3C
> family-members of XHTML do this.

Given that the feature is also available in some form in Unicode this
doesn't make much sense to me. I also don't really understand why such a
feature should be optional.

> We feel that just because the DOM includes an attribute on an element,
> that doesn't automatically imply it should be exposed in the markup.
> There are many things in the DOM that are not.

When you serialize the DOM back to markup this creates problems.

> But in any case, as I said in my earlier email, it is not the aim of
> this revision of Modularization to change the markup languages using it,
> even if we felt it was a good idea to add dir to the above elements.

target="" is one thing which has been added, I don't really see why this
can't be considered.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>