Substantive: XHTML 2 duplicate functionality

From: Elliotte Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 11:07:30 -0400
To: www-html-editor@w3.org

I'm glad that xml:id has been added, but I wonder why id has been
retained? It seems like needless duplication that can only serve to
confuse. I would prefer to just stick with one or the other, preferably
xml:id. This would make queries to find the IDs of an element much
simpler in, for example, XPath.

For similar reasons, i question the retention of the now redundant a
element. It's just additional baggage for the spec and parsers. Simpler
is better. Any element you can take out, you should take out.

On the other hand, I do wish href were replaced with xlink:href. Using
XLink 1.1 and xml:id would remove the need for HTML specific link and ID
handling. It would make processing XHTML documents that much simpler.

Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!