Re: The xhtml:onkeypress architecture

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 15:18:32 +0100, Steven Pemberton
<steven.pemberton@cwi.nl> wrote:
>> Except that it is not. It adds quite an amount of attributes in the
>> XHTML namespace. Besides using xml:id I could now use xhtml:id on any
>> number of elements as well as xhtml:onkeypress as the subject of this
>> thread suggests. These are quite substantial changes from previous
>> versions of XHTML I'm sure not many implementors would've agreed to.
>
> These changes do *not* affect XHTML, and the text points that out quite
> clearly, in bold type no less.

That might be part of the problem. I'm not really sure I like this
solution and I wonder how it scales given that you effectively have to
check the element node namespaceURI for each element such an attribute
could be validly applied to. Of course, that's not really defined in the
draft. Other things are what should happen when people do use it on
certain elements which the browser does not recognize? The assumption that
documents are conforming to some schema seems to contradict with what
actual implementations actually do (they follow the part about validation
being optional; where validation actually only aplies to DTDs...).

I'd like to see this being removed from this version of the XHTML
Modularization (being 1.1). It does not seem to be a non-controversial
change to make (and imho it isn't) when going from second WD to PR.

Cheers,

Anne

PS: Let's do any potential follow-up e-mails on www-html-editor instead of
www-tag...

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>