From: www-tag-request@w3.org [mailto:www-tag-request@w3.org] On Behalf
Of Steven Pemberton
Sent: 14 February 2006 14:19
To: Anne van Kesteren
Cc: Bjoern Hoehrmann; www-tag@w3.org; HTML WG
Subject: The xhtml:onkeypress architecture

Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> Except that it is not. It adds quite an amount of attributes in the
> XHTML namespace. Besides using xml:id I could now use xhtml:id on any
> number of elements as well as xhtml:onkeypress as the subject of this
> thread suggests. These are quite substantial changes from previous
> versions of XHTML I'm sure not many implementors would've agreed to.

These changes do *not* affect XHTML, and the text points that out quite
clearly, in bold type no less.

"Each of the attributes defined in an XHTML attribute collection is
available for use when their corresponding module is included in an
XHTML Host Language or an XHTML Integration Set. In such a situation,
the attributes are available for use in the definition of elements that
are NOT in the XHTML namespace when they are referenced using their
namespace-qualified identifier (e.g., xhtml:id). The semantics of the
attributes remain the same regardless of whether they are referenced
using their qualified identifier or not. On elements in the XHTML
namespace, it is an error to use a namespace-qualified attribute."
http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-modularization/xhtml-modularization#s_commona
tts

This section *only* makes the attributes available to other markup
languages *if they should wish to use them* in that markup language
combination.

Steven Pemberton

Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically states them to be the views of Reuters Ltd.