Re: [XHTML 2] 24.2 Position of param elements (PR#7753)

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 17:01:00 +0100, Shane McCarron
<xhtml2-issues@hades.mn.aptest.com> wrote:
> 2) we don't define error behavior, in particular in the case of
> validation
> errors. This is handled by XML.

At one point the HTML WG looks at current implementations and at other
points they simply miss the fact that implementations typically do not
have validating parsers.

I would assume the HTML WG would have learned from HTML 4 that having no
forward compatible error handling leads to huge interoperability issues
that are still not solved today. (These issues apply equally well to XHTML
1 in case someone might think it has to do with HTML being not XML or
so...)

XML also allows implementations of non-validating parsers and it is
generally agreed upon that DOCTYPEs are a bad idea anyway. Given that XML
does not mendate validating parsers I don't see how XML handles error
handling for XHTML 2.0. Please change the draft so that it defines error
handling. (Like in CSS 2.1 and SVG Tiny 1.2.)

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>