Object content and rendering

From: Karl Dubost <karl@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 10:34:33 -0400
To: www-html@w3.org, www-html-editor@w3.org

Clarification needed
http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-xhtml2-20050527/mod-
object.html#edef_object_object

In this example:

<object src="http://www.example.com/foo.html" srctype="text/html">
     <em>alternate text</em>
</object>

I guess that foo.html MUST be a XHTML/HTML document, which means full
doctype, head, body, etc.

But let's take another example like that:

<object src="http://www.example.com/something" srctype="@@type@@">
     <em>alternate text</em>
</object>

where something
********************
********************

* How would you insert something which is a part of an XHTML document,
but not an XHTML document?
* what is the srctype?
* What MUST do a user agent?
	* MUST not interpret anything?
	* Follow the mime type sent by the server? even if it's wrong?
	* Display the alternate text?

Another issue:
	I would make it clear in the document, that the object element MUST
NOT sniff the content. It's very annoying when for example you send a
source code of a program with "HTML" inside (for templates) and that
the browser renders it.

W3C Conformance Manager
*** Be Strict To Be Cool ***