Re: [XHTML 2] removal of navigation list element

From: Anne van Kesteren <fora@annevankesteren.nl>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 15:35:35 +0200
To: Laurens Holst <lholst@students.cs.uu.nl>
CC: www-html-editor@w3.org, xhtml2-issues@hades.mn.aptest.com

Laurens Holst wrote:
> As discussed and agreed with by many on www-html, I request the removal
> of the navigation list (<nl>) element, as defined in section 11.2 of the
> XHTML 2.0 working draft dated May 27th, 2005.
> Rationale can be found in the discussion on www-html, e.g.:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-html/2005May/0137
> Basically, I think that the <nl> element could be better expressed as
> <ul role="navigation">. The case the specification makes about removing
> the need for scripting is hardly a good one, as web site authors will
> usually desire much more control (style, behavior) than the <nl> element
> offers.

Why just this element? A lot of elements can be removed now there is a
way to use RDF features to describe them. XHTML 2.0 could probably be
reduced to the xhtml2:html, xhtml2:div and xhtml2:span elements and
various attribute modules.

However, I'm not sure if such abstraction is a good idea.

I believe there is also a subtle difference between |role="navigation"|
and the NL element. Where |role="navigation"| defines its relation to
other elements within the document the NL element denotes that its
content are to be used for navigation.

A simple example:

  <section role="navigation">
   <h>Browse around, freely</h>

The ROLE attribute on the SECTION element indicates its relation to
other sections within the document where the NL element describes the

Also, how do you qualify 'many'?

  Anne van Kesteren