[XHTML 2] removal of navigation list element

From: Laurens Holst <lholst@students.cs.uu.nl>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 15:16:43 +0200
To: www-html-editor@w3.org, xhtml2-issues@hades.mn.aptest.com

Hi,

As discussed and agreed with by many on www-html, I request the removal
of the navigation list (<nl>) element, as defined in section 11.2 of the
XHTML 2.0 working draft dated May 27th, 2005.

Rationale can be found in the discussion on www-html, e.g.:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-html/2005May/0137

Basically, I think that the <nl> element could be better expressed as
<ul role="navigation">. The case the specification makes about removing
the need for scripting is hardly a good one, as web site authors will
usually desire much more control (style, behavior) than the <nl> element
offers.

~Grauw