Re: Styling embedding attributes (PR#7655)

From: Anne van Kesteren <fora@annevankesteren.nl>
Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 13:51:31 +0200
To: Shane McCarron <shane@aptest.com>
CC: Jim Ley <jim.ley@gmail.com>, www-html-editor@w3.org, xhtml2-issues@hades.mn.aptest.com

Shane McCarron wrote:
>> As I have explained, there is no mechanism for the author to
>> control the rendering in CSS environments, that is compatible with
>> the two views.  I reject the issue as there is no technical way an
>> author can achieve the required sizing if they do have different
>> sizes.
>
> I understand that you disagree with this decision, and have noted it
> in the database.

I agree with the disagreement and object to the decision of the HTML WG.

There has been some activity on www-style to found a solution for this
problem as it clearly doesn't solely apply to XHTML 2.0 — think of
xhtml1:img, xhtml1:object — and I believe the outcome of that was that
it doesn't fit in the CSS model.

I hope the HTML WG can discuss this with the CSS WG to find a feasible
solution before XHTML 2.0 enters last call or propose another mechanism
for embedding.

--
  Anne van Kesteren
  <http://annevankesteren.nl/>