Re: HTML and XHTML FAQ

From: Anne van Kesteren <fora@annevankesteren.nl>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 14:05:58 +0200
To: andre_ardent-www@yahoo.com.au
CC: www-html-editor@w3.org

Andrei Stanescu wrote:
> The CSS 2.1 specification doesn't mention anything
> about this supposed difference (or at least I wasn't
> able to find it), so I must assume that the "a lot of
> rules" expression in the document I mentioned is...
> well... simply wrong.

See for examples the section about Backgrounds or the section on the
'overflow' property. Also, in HTML documents CSS selectors are
case-insensitive and in XHTML documents they are not, etc.

> I'm using XHTML strict on 10 sites and haven't heard
> of any such special rule.

I think you are using XHTML as text/html which is parsed as HTML and
therefore you haven't encountered any problems.

--
  Anne van Kesteren
  <http://annevankesteren.nl/>