Re: Navigation Lists

From: R. Douglas Ezell <rdouglas@iglou.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 10:16:11 -0400
To: Dosuchin <gohankid77@gmail.com>
CC: w3c <www-html-editor@w3.org>

Thanks for taking my challenge Dosuchin.

I am pleased that you agree that the navigational list
items need a dedicated containing block in order to make
a navigation menu.

I only used the naming scheme in my example in order to
be completely explicit. Personally, I would preffer:

nl (nh+,nb) Navigation List
nh (Inline | Text) Navigation Heading
nb (ni*) Navigation Body
ni (Inline | Text | nl) Navigation Item

To stick with the tried and tested head and body
paradigm, and to limit the content model of
navigational list items. The li element has a broad
content model that works in ordered and unordered lists.
I feel that such a broad content model would not work in
navigation lists.

I agree that some solution for placement of
drop-down-menus is required. I would hope that this
solution be dealt with in css rather than an attribute though.
Furthermore, I think that there should be a way to determine
the style of menu presented. Navigation lists could create
drop down menus or expanding trees like you see in windows
explorer or regedit. In this manner navigation lists would kill
two birds with one stone.

In any case, thanks for your reply, and I hope the w3c
manages to address our concerns one way or another.

http://hades.mn.aptest.com/cgi-bin/xhtml2-issues/
List?user=guest;selectid=7662
<http://hades.mn.aptest.com/cgi-bin/xhtml2-issues/List?user=guest;selectid=7662>