Re: W3C FAQ CSS question

Anne van Kesteren wrote:

>> If there is a solution to the problem, I'd be interested to hear
>> about it.
>

> There is.
>
>  <http://alistapart.com/articles/slidingdoors>
>  <http://alistapart.com/articles/slidingdoors2>

To add to anne's comment:

The issue is useability, you cant be sure what is "readable" for anyone
other than yourself, that is why many UA's allow resizing of `px`
specified text.  Because of that *web author* flaw.

Simply adding a "noresize" attribute of any such to the spec in terms of
text will not solve that issue...as the UA's who do it, will not likely
change their methods.

The solution is to use "resize-able" aware CSS/HTML  and where possible,
if imagery is NEEDED, use SVG, though keep in mind, SVG is not widely
deployed yet, and has problems when used "with" the official CSS specs
(perhaps anne can provide thread links for me).

CSS allows some nice "quick and easy" imagery affects, not all of which
IE supports, as well as not all of which Mozilla supports (text-shadow
anyone?) but using CSS and text without the need for "fixed" images is
part of why the transition to CSS was made so apparant/possible, in leiu
of the limitations brought forth from the release of the accessability
guidelines.

Though to end this, CSS is not really a html-editor issue.  www-style
would be the *best* place on w3's lists, though even I think a "how to"
question is not meant for here, (which your initial was not admittedly)

O well, I just noticed I turned it into a rant.
~Justin Wood