WD-xhtml2-20040722: Some navigation list requirements (IMHO)

From: Dave Hodder <dmh@dmh.org.uk>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 23:43:31 +0100
To: www-html-editor@w3.org

Hello,

I personally think it would be excellent if navigation lists had the
following properties:

   1. The ability to join one or more together inside a block element.
      (They should group together cleanly when placed within a 'div' or
      'section'.)
   2. Support for navigation lists within navigation lists.
   3. Reasonable keyboard accessibility features.
   4. Support for separators between list items (already raised as issue
      7658).
   5. The ability for navigation list items to be disabled (on visual
      user agents they might be greyed out, as disabled form elements
      often are).

Here's a snippet of XUL 1.0 which demonstrates these points:

     <menubar
xmlns="http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul">
   <!-- *1* -->

       <menu label="File" accesskey="f">                     <!-- *3* -->
         <menupopup>
           <menuitem label="Open" accesskey="o"/>            <!-- *3* -->
           <menuitem label="Save" disabled="true"/>          <!-- *5* -->
           <menuseparator/>                                  <!-- *4* -->
           <menuitem label="Exit" accesskey="x"/>
         </menupopup>
       </menu>

       <menu label="Other">
         <menupopup>
           <menu label="Frobnicate">                         <!-- *2* -->
             <menupopup>
               <menuitem label="Frobnicate This"/>
               <menuitem label="Frobnicate That"/>
             </menupopup>
           </menu>
           <menuitem label="Foo"/>
           <menuitem label="Bar"/>
         </menupopup>
       </menu>

     </menubar>

(N.B. I'm not suggesting that XHTML 2.0 copies the XUL example above,
but I do think it has some good features which are worth looking at.  At
the same time navigation lists should be flexible enough to cope with
everything from aural user agents to text terminals to search engine
software agents...)

Regards,

Dave