Why the "Embedding" attribute set? Why not just use "object"?

From: Paul Crowley <ciphergoth@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2004 14:58:15 +0100
To: www-html-editor@w3.org

I can't work out what it is that including the "Embedding" attributes
in the common attribute set offers that the "object" tag can't already
do in a neater and more general way - I'd appreciate a pointer to the
discussion that led to this decision.

I tried to check the comment archive to see if this question was
already answered, but the large amount of archived spam made this
impossible...
--
  __
\/ o\ Paul Crowley