XHTML1: What's wrong with -- in script/style?

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 06:13:48 +0200
To: www-html-editor@w3.org

Dear HTML Working Group,

  Appendix C.4 of the XHTML 1.0 Second Edition Recommendation states

[...]
  Use external style sheets if your style sheet uses < or & or ]]> or
  --. Use external scripts if your script uses < or & or ]]> or --.
[...]

I do not understand what the problem with -- in those elements is, as
far as I can tell, there is no difference for e.g.

or

in HTML versus XHTML, the specification seems thus in error in this
regard.

regards.