RE: XHTML/HTML standard

From: BIGELOW,JIM (HP-Boise,ex1) <jim.bigelow@hp.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 11:15:10 -0500
To: Robert La Ferla <robertlaferla@comcast.net>, www-html-editor@w3.org

Robert Le Ferla wrote:
> would like information on any proposals for an image rotation angle
> attribute for the IMG tag.  Given the ubiquity of digital
> cameras in the
> marketplace, there is a strong need for the ability to flip
> the display
> of images horizontally and vertically without altering the
> actual file.
> This functionality would be useful for both browsers and mail
> user agent
> applications.

The latest draft of the CSS3 Paged Media Module [1] contains a css property
for rotating a image[2]. I think that rotating and flipping an image is a
presentation issue rather than a structural/mark up issue.  So, I expect
that specifying this via a style property is preferred to an new element tag
attribute.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-page/
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-page/#orienting

Jim Bigelow,