Deprecated applet code

From: Kelley, Pat@EDD <Pat@EDD>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 08:28:30 -0800
To: "'www-html-editor@w3.org'" <www-html-editor@w3.org>
In your Objects page you say that the "applet" code is deprecated, and that
we are to use objects instead.  However when I change my applet code to
emulate your example the code stops working on IE but continues to work on
Netscape.

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/objects.html
<http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/objects.html>

This element, supported by all Java-enabled browsers, allows designers to
embed a Java applet in an HTML document. It has been deprecated
<http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/conform.html#deprecated>  in favor of the
<http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/objects.html#edef-OBJECT> OBJECT
element.

The content of the
<http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/objects.html#edef-APPLET> APPLET
acts as alternate information for user agents that don't support this
element or are currently configured not to support applets. User agents must
ignore the content otherwise.

DEPRECATED EXAMPLE:
In the following example, the
<http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/objects.html#edef-APPLET> APPLET
element includes a Java applet in the document. Since no
<http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/objects.html#adef-codebase-APPLET>
codebase is supplied, the applet is assumed to be in the same directory as
the current document.

<APPLET code="Bubbles.class" width="500" height="500">
Java applet that draws animated bubbles.
</APPLET>

This example may be rewritten with
<http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/objects.html#edef-OBJECT> OBJECT as
follows: