Deprecated applet code

From: Kelley, Pat@EDD <Pat@EDD>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 08:28:30 -0800
To: "'www-html-editor@w3.org'" <www-html-editor@w3.org>
In your Objects page you say that the "applet" code is deprecated, and that
we are to use objects instead.  However when I change my applet code to
emulate your example the code stops working on IE but continues to work on

This element, supported by all Java-enabled browsers, allows designers to
embed a Java applet in an HTML document. It has been deprecated
<http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/conform.html#deprecated>  in favor of the
<http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/objects.html#edef-OBJECT> OBJECT

The content of the
<http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/objects.html#edef-APPLET> APPLET
acts as alternate information for user agents that don't support this
element or are currently configured not to support applets. User agents must
ignore the content otherwise.

In the following example, the
<http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/objects.html#edef-APPLET> APPLET
element includes a Java applet in the document. Since no
codebase is supplied, the applet is assumed to be in the same directory as
the current document.

<APPLET code="Bubbles.class" width="500" height="500">
Java applet that draws animated bubbles.

This example may be rewritten with
<http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/objects.html#edef-OBJECT> OBJECT as

<P><OBJECT codetype="application/java"
        width="500" height="500">