Incorrect description of an example

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@sidar.org>
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2003 02:43:29 +0100
To: www-html-editor@w3.org

Hi, the example at
http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/interact/scripts.html#h-18.2.4

suggests that a piece of javascript writing characters into the source
has the same effect as static HTML code. It fails to note taht this is
only true for browsers which support javascript and where it has not
been disactivated.

This strikes me as an important omission, given that the reader would
need to cover a different section of the document before getting such
information.

The validity constraint specified in that section of the document means
that there is a necessarily implied body element (since the subsequent
p element is not allowed to appear in the head of the document). My
experience with authors suggests that this is not understood by them,
and that it would be helpful to include one.

Cheers

Chaals