XFrames WD 11 March 2003 - Suggestions

From: Claus Wahlers <claus@mozquito.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 17:07:33 +0200
To: <www-html-editor@w3.org>
Cc: "Steven Pemberton" <steven.pemberton@cwi.nl>

"Issue: use the CSS table layout algorithm instead?"
I think this would not be a good idea, as i really love the simplicity of
things, a table layout algorithm may be too complex for the things that need
to be solved and moves too far away from HTML Frames that everyone is using
today.

---

I would suggest allowing the "compose" attribute on the frames element. This
way we could allow any combination of frame and group children in frames (as
opposed to the current working draft where only frame elements or one group
element are allowed). I already implemented this in my XFrames renderer.
There seem to be no sideeffects.
http://claus.packts.net/deng/examples/xframes/links/index.xfm
http://claus.packts.net/deng/examples/xframes/links/
(Macromedia Flash Player 6 required)

---

For links/targets in combination with XFrames you should sync with Tantek
who already proposed a possible solution W3C-internally (using CSS).

cheers,
claus.
http://mozquito.com
http://w3blog.com/news