Scheme attribute of meta element

From: Pete Johnston <p.johnston@ukoln.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2002 09:36:25 -0000
To: www-html-editor@w3.org

Hello,

Looking at the description of the <meta> element in the recent
(2002-12-18) WD of XHTML 2.0

http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-xhtml2-20021218/mod-meta.html#s_metamodule

I notice that the scheme attribute of XHTML 1.0/HTML 4

http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/global.html#adef-scheme

is no longer available.

I've scanned the various attributes which have been introduced, but I
can't see anything which provides the semantic equivalent of the scheme
attribute.

I don't see any indication of why the scheme attribute has been dropped,
and I'd like to understand more about the reason behind the change and
whether there is another mechanism for representing the information
previously conveyed using that attribute.

In the context of Dublin Core metadata, the scheme attribute is useful
for capturing "qualifying" information about the values of metadata
properties and its use is part of recommended practice for representing
Dublin Core metadata in HTML. See, for example:

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2731.txt

Regards
Pete
-------
Pete Johnston
Interoperability Research Officer
UKOLN, University of Bath, Bath BA2 7AY, UK
tel: +44 (0)1225 383619    fax: +44 (0)1225 386838
mailto:p.johnston@ukoln.ac.uk
http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/ukoln/staff/p.johnston/