Re: zipped HTML spec

From: Masayasu Ishikawa <mimasa@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 00:33:49 +0900 (JST)
To: vcpelton@earthlink.net
Cc: www-html-editor@w3.org

"Vicki Pelton" <vcpelton@earthlink.net> wrote:

> I went to http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/ & downloaded "This version, gzip'ed PDF file" using Internet Explorer 6.0.  What I got was a file much larger than specified & it wasn't zipped.  I could just use it as is.
>
> I also downloaded the same file using Netscape 6.2.3.  The resulting file was the size specified & I had to unzip it to use it.  Could you explain to me why I got two different results using the two different browsers?  This is a mystery to me & I'd very much like to understand it.

See: http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/html4-updates/errata#entry-12

See also: http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/NOTE-cuap-20010206#cp-save-filenames

In both cases the resource was transferred as gzip'ed resource,
IE gunzip'ed it on the fly, and Netscape didn't.

Regards,
--
Masayasu Ishikawa / mimasa@w3.org
W3C - World Wide Web Consortium