zipped HTML spec

From: Vicki Pelton <vcpelton@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 00:09:33 +0900 (JST)
To: <www-html-editor@w3.org>
I went to http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/ & downloaded "This version, gzip'ed PDF file" using Internet Explorer 6.0.  What I got was a file much larger than specified & it wasn't zipped.  I could just use it as is.

I also downloaded the same file using Netscape 6.2.3.  The resulting file was the size specified & I had to unzip it to use it.  Could you explain to me why I got two different results using the two different browsers?  This is a mystery to me & I'd very much like to understand it.

Thank you very much for your help.

--Vicki Pelton vpelton@vertical-edge.com