Re: HTML 4.01 Error - TARGET attr in BASE elmnt

From: Masayasu Ishikawa <mimasa@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 01:43:51 +0900 (JST)
To: johnso61@cs.newpaltz.edu
Cc: www-html-editor@w3.org
Matthew Johnson <johnso61@cs.newpaltz.edu> wrote:

> The list of attributes identifies the BASE element as one which supports
> the TARGET attribute.  However, the description of the BASE element makes
> no mention of the attribute TARGET.

That's on purpose.  You should notice the "L" in the DTD column of
the list of attributes, which means that the attribute is available
in the Loose DTD (i.e. Transitional DTD) but not available in the
Strict DTD.  The DTD fragments throughout the specification use
fragments from the Strict DTD, that's why the DTD fragment in
section 12.4 [1] doesn't list the target attribute and instead
mentions it in "attributes defined elsewhere".

>  Also, the HTML Validator treats a
> TARGET attribute within a BASE element as an error.

I suppose you used the Strict DTD, not Transitional DTD.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/links.html#h-12.4

Regards,
--
Masayasu Ishikawa / mimasa@w3.org