amp and lt in XHTML modularisation

From: David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 15:49:24 +0100
To: www-html-editor@w3.org

<!ENTITY amp     "&#38;" ><!-- ampersand, U+0026 ISOnum -->
<!ENTITY lt      "&#60;" ><!-- less-than sign, U+003C ISOnum -->

This definition is incompatible with XML which states (slightly more
clearly in XML 2e than in the first edition) that these characters must
be double quoted.

If the entities lt or amp are declared, they must be declared as
internal entities whose replacement text is a character reference to the
respective character (less-than sign or ampersand) being escaped; the
double escaping is required for these entities so that references to
them produce a well-formed result.
<!ENTITY lt     "&#38;#60;">
<!ENTITY amp    "&#38;#38;">

The same is true in the copy packaged with the XHTML basic REC

(and the copy in that is linked from the MathML spec, I could fix that
one myself, but I'd rather reference a fixed version of m12n)