amp and lt in XHTML modularisation

From: David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 15:49:24 +0100
To: www-html-editor@w3.org

http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/PR-xhtml-modularization-20010222/dtd_module_defs.html#a_module_XHTML_Special_Characters

has

<!ENTITY amp     "&#38;" ><!-- ampersand, U+0026 ISOnum -->
<!ENTITY lt      "&#60;" ><!-- less-than sign, U+003C ISOnum -->

This definition is incompatible with XML which states (slightly more
clearly in XML 2e than in the first edition) that these characters must
be double quoted.

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml#sec-predefined-ent
says

If the entities lt or amp are declared, they must be declared as
internal entities whose replacement text is a character reference to the
respective character (less-than sign or ampersand) being escaped; the
double escaping is required for these entities so that references to
them produce a well-formed result.
<!ENTITY lt     "&#38;#60;">
<!ENTITY amp    "&#38;#38;">

The same is true in the copy packaged with the XHTML basic REC
http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-basic/xhtml-special.ent

(and the copy in that is linked from the MathML spec, I could fix that
one myself, but I'd rather reference a fixed version of m12n)

David

http://www.star.net.uk/stats.asp