System identifiers in new modn draft.

From: David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 12:14:55 GMT
To: www-html-editor@w3.org

I note that there has been a change in the CR draft to use absolute
URI to refer to the various modules. This is a real pain as it means
that one can not make a local copy of the DTD without extensive editing
in dozens of places.

On some systems one could use an SGML Open catalogue to override the
supplied URI, but catalogues are not required (or even mentioned)
in the XML spec, and so can not be relied upon in typical XML
systems, and certainly should not be relied upon in any canonical
versions of the DTDs, which should only use standard XML features.

As commented in the introduction to this draft, there had been quite a
lot of work done to coordinate earlier versions of this with the MathML
DTD, but I'm not at all sure how I can best incorporate MathML into this
version. In the short term, I'll probably base the combined xhtml+mathml
on the xhtml 1.1 DTD which does have relative URI, but having xhtml
not corresponding to the modules in the modularisation draft is
presumably not intended to be a permanent situation.

David