probaly stupid question

From: trinko <trinko@pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2000 12:59:58 -0700
To: www-html-editor@w3.org
when I try and validate using the strict dtd, xhtml, i get a warning
error that xml:space has an incorrect content model, it should be
(default | preserver) #IMPLIED not (preserver) #FIXED preserve.  I get
this with both an online validator but also with the Xerces 1.1.1
parser.  While Netscape PR1 displays the document as xml anyway Internet
Explorer 5 on the Mac won't display the document as html or xml because
of some error, I think it's this xml:space problem but since the stupid
Microsoft error dialog cuts off the last part of the error message I
can't be sure.

am I missing something or is this an error?  if not is the IE 5 response
correct?  thanks.