Note on XHTML 1.0 Frameset Specification

From: Hart, Laurence <hart@infodata.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 10:10:12 -0500
To: www-html-editor@w3.org
There is one effect that I have been unable to achieve using Frameset XHTML
and CSS.  That is the effect of setting a frameset border=0.  See this
code...

Valid (www.mindspring.com/~hartl/main/home_valid.htm):
  <frameset rows="50,*">
  </frameset>

Invalid (www.mindspring.com/~hartl/main/home.htm):
  <frameset rows="50,*" border=0>
  </frameset>

The difference is the space that occurs between frames.  I was unable to
remove this space using Cascading Style Sheets through any border or padding
settings.  If I am overlooking something, that is fine.  It may be an
incomplete support of CSS in my browsers, if so, let me know and I will be
patient.  The problem is subtle in IE 5.0 and pronounced in Netscape.

Thank you for your time.

Laurence Hart
hartl@acm.org