Re: where is (0,0)?

"John A. Grant" wrote:

> On this page:
>     http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/objects.html#edef-AREA
>
> It states:
>   "Coordinates are relative to the top, left corner of the object. All values are lengths. All values are separated by commas"
> However, it doesn't say if the (x,y) are 0-based or 1-based. Is the top left >corner (0,0) or (1,1)?  I'm guessing (0,0), but I'm a technical person. Others
> might think (1,1).

I will ask the WG for clarification.

> Also it says "all values are lengths". Surely the (x,y) are not "lengths"? A
>length doesn't have the concept of a reference point like (0,0). The (x,y) are
>"co-ordinates", rather than "lengths".  But you don't have "co-ordinate" as a basic
>element type - perhaps there should be such a type.  This distinction is akin to
>the difference between a scalar (speed) and a vector (velocity) quantity.

The term "length" is linked to and it is explained that in the
context of this document, a length value may be either a %Pixel; value
or percentage of the available horizontal or vertical space. We chose
the term length (for better or worse) to group these two values under
one
term.

 - Ian

Tel/Fax:                     +1 212 684-1814 or 212 532-4767
Cell:                        +1 917 450-8783