Re: REC-html40-19980424 Suggestion

From: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 09:50:24 -0400
To: "Joseph T. Voorhees III" <voorhees@sdd.hp.com>
CC: www-html-editor@w3.org, dsr@w3c.org
"Joseph T. Voorhees III" wrote:
> Greetings,
> This is just a suggestion for http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/.
> In discussing this set of documents with many webmasters within
> Hewlett-Packard, both experienced and novice, I would like to
> request a usability enhancement:
> Where definitions of the various HTML elements are documented, for
> instance:
>  http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/interact/forms.html#edef-INPUT
> it would be extremely helpful to show the following for each
> element:
>         1. What elements are allowed in said element.
>         2. What elements said element is allowed to be within.
> Thank you for your time,

We already have 2. available in the form of the DTD excerpts.
(Refer to the sgml tutorial for information about reading the

As for 1., I agree that this would be useful. The DTD does provide
this information, but we don't give it in abbreviated form.

Unfortunately, I don't think we will have time to add this to
the next version (to be published soon).

Thank you for the input,

 - Ian

Tel/Fax:                     +1 212 684-1814
Cell:                        +1 917 450-8783