Re: A problem with XHTML 1.0

From: Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 14:19:31 +0100 (GMT Daylight Time)
To: "Joel A. Nava" <jnava@Adobe.COM>
cc: "Www-Html-Editor@W3. Org" <www-html-editor@w3.org>
On Mon, 7 Jun 1999, Joel A. Nava wrote:

> In Section 3.1.2 "Using XHTML with other namespaces,"
> it describes how to mix XHML with other namespaces,
> it notes, "although such documents are not strictly
> conforming XHTML 1.0 documents."
> It is observable that a Well Formedness checking
> processor, could read this, but in know way in
> it's present form could it be validated with
> out changing the content models of well established
> HTML elements.
> I think what needs to be added is a new element with
> content model ANY. The purpose is to allow other
> namespaces to be used with XHTML in a way that allows
> validation. This could be done automatically by a
> pre-processor that combines the DTDs, fixes any
> prefix problems and uses XHTML as the top namespace.

Unfortunately the definition of ANY is limited to elements
already declared in the DTD. See

There has been some discussion on adding a new mechanism that
allows any element at all, e.g. a token such as #OPEN, for use
in XML Schemas, but we will have to wait and see how that works

Another possibility is to define a new DTD that blends the XHTML
modules with the extensions you need. The work on modularizing XHTML
is intended to help you with this.

Thanks for your input.

phone: +44 122 578 2984 (or 2521) +44 385 320 444 (gsm mobile)