Re: A problem with XHTML 1.0

From: Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 14:19:31 +0100 (GMT Daylight Time)
To: "Joel A. Nava" <jnava@Adobe.COM>
cc: "Www-Html-Editor@W3. Org" <www-html-editor@w3.org>
On Mon, 7 Jun 1999, Joel A. Nava wrote:

> In Section 3.1.2 "Using XHTML with other namespaces,"
> it describes how to mix XHML with other namespaces,
> it notes, "although such documents are not strictly
> conforming XHTML 1.0 documents."
>
> It is observable that a Well Formedness checking
> processor, could read this, but in know way in
> it's present form could it be validated with
> out changing the content models of well established
> HTML elements.
>
> I think what needs to be added is a new element with
> content model ANY. The purpose is to allow other
> namespaces to be used with XHTML in a way that allows
> validation. This could be done automatically by a
> pre-processor that combines the DTDs, fixes any
> prefix problems and uses XHTML as the top namespace.

Unfortunately the definition of ANY is limited to elements
already declared in the DTD. See

  http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml#sec-logical-struct

There has been some discussion on adding a new mechanism that
allows any element at all, e.g. a token such as #OPEN, for use
in XML Schemas, but we will have to wait and see how that works
out.

Another possibility is to define a new DTD that blends the XHTML
modules with the extensions you need. The work on modularizing XHTML
is intended to help you with this.

Thanks for your input.

Regards,

phone: +44 122 578 2984 (or 2521) +44 385 320 444 (gsm mobile)