XHTML draft 1999-05-05; XMLDecl

From: Christian Ottosson <christian.ottosson@kurir.net>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 12:56:43 +0200
To: www-html-editor@w3.org
Hi!

Section 1.3 and 4.1.1 in the XHTML 1.0 draft (1999-05-05) say the document
must be well-formed. Due to XML this implies a XMLDecl (<?xml?>). But in
the example in 3.1.1 the XMLDecl are left out, and I can't find any
comments to or eplanation of the lack of it.

I know this has been discussed before, but I think you have to point out
what is right. If the example is correct you have to eplain why.

I know that some wracked browser doesn't like the XMLDecl. I'm using MSIE
for MacOS myself wich only shows the source. But I don't think this reason
is strong enough to leave the XMLDecl out. Microsoft shouldn't have a great
problem making a fix to that bug, and IMHO we have to think in a longer
perspective.

Best regards

--
Christian Ottosson