Re: Liaison statement on fragment identifiers from Linking WG

From: Ann Navarro <ann@hwg.org>
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 11:14:11 -0400
To: shane@themacs.com, Bill Smith <bill.smith@sun.com>
Cc: shane@themacs.com, Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>, Steven Pemberton <Steven.Pemberton@cwi.nl>, w3c-xml-cg@w3.org, w3c-html-wg@w3.org, www-html-editor@w3.org, w3c-xml-linking-wg@w3.org
At 09:10 AM 5/17/99 -0500, Shane P. McCarron wrote:

>What may not work is if the conversion were to remove the name
>attributes from these elements. This is because older or broken HTML 4.0
>browsers sometimes do not use the id attribute. Consequently, we need to
>leave it in. Maybe what we should also do is deprecate it in XHTML 1.0
>so that the transition strategy is clear?

I think that would be a good idea. Never hurts to be explicit.

Ann
---

Author of Effective Web Design: Master the Essentials
Buy it online! http://www.webgeek.com/about.html
Coming this summer! --- Mastering XML

Owner, WebGeek Communications          http://www.webgeek.com
Vice President-Finance, HTML Writers Guild http://www.hwg.org