About HTML 4.0 and its making/editing

From: <mathieu.bois@nomura.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 98 17:38:40 +0100
To: www-html-editor@w3.org
     Hello,

     I have got the current proposal for HTML 4.0 (and I used to had an
     older one).
     It is very well done, and I use it a lot (I have taken the .tgz file
     in order to access it locally and quicklier !).

     Anyway, I have got one question : how was it written ?
     I mean in which original format (SGML / HTML ?) and with which
     software (if not done by hand) [and if you have a little more time to
     answer me, what did you use to convert it in other formats like PS,
     PDF] ?

     Thanks

     Mathieu BOIS
     mathieu.bois@nomura.co.uk