Re: Fault in HTML 4.0 ZIP FILE

Richard Blanchard III wrote:

>     Yesterday I downloaded html40.zip. When I unzipped it and loaded
> "cover.htm" I was unable to jump to ANY links. The reason is, the html
> files all unzipped themselves into ".htm" files, yet the "cover.htm"
> document points all links to files ending in ".html"! Naturally,
> Netscape Navigator returns a file not found error message.
>     I was able to fix the problem by loading "cover.htm" into Wordpad
> and replacing all ".html" 's with ".htm" 's. Still I expect that the
> other files will have the same problem.
>     I haven't had a chance to read the document yet so I can't comment
> on the content yet. I just wanted to let you know about the file name
> problem.

Richard,

We have chosen to end our files with ".html" expressly. Yes,
on many MS Windows systems, people choose ".htm" because
of the DOS legacy file name limitation. However, this is by
no means a universal standard.

I believe the program you are using to unzip html40.zip
is converting the ".html" suffix into ".htm", which is
not the desired behavior. You should be able to
tell your unzipping program to leave the file names alone, and,
if you are running Windows 95 or Windows NT, you won't have
any further problems.

I hope this helps,

 - Ian

--
Ian Jacobs / 401 Second Ave. #19G / New York, NY 10010 USA
Tel/Fax: (212) 684-1814          Email: jacobs@w3.org