Re: possible error in HTML 4.0 specification

From: Ian B. Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 11:21:41 -0500
To: Tony Leneis <tony@plaza.ds.adp.com>
CC: www-html-editor@w3.org
Tony Leneis wrote:

>         There seems to be an error in the table portion of the HTML 4.0
> specification.  Section B.5 mentions the cols attribute many times, but
> it is not listed as a valid attribute for the TABLE element in section
> 11.2.1.  I'm not sure which text to believe, since RFC 1942 defines this
> attribute.  There are some related typographical errors in section B.5.
> Sometimes the cols attribute is all lowercase, following the convention
> mentioned in section 1.2.1, and other times it is all uppercase.  I'm
> guessing that all references to the cols attribute are supposed to be
> excised from section B.5, since the user agent can simply look at the
> COLGROUP and COL elements.

Tony,

You are correct. Appendix B incorrectly refers to a "cols"
attribute. This attribute, being redundant with the COL and COLGROUP
elements, was removed from the tables chapter, but not the
appendix. I will add this to the errata sheet.

 - Ian

--
Ian Jacobs / 401 Second Ave. #19G / New York, NY 10010 USA
Tel/Fax: (212) 684-1814          Email: jacobs@w3.org